Kentucky’s mostly famous for their horses–and of course their basketball, but Grandma made a pretty mean jam cake. Couldn’t wait for winter to come so she would heat up the oven and start baking.
1 cup Butter
1 1/2 cups Blackberry jam or jelly
1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
3 cups All-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon Ground cloves
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350° F.
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and blackberry jam. Beat thoroughly.
2. Sift the flour, measure and resift with soda, salt, and spices.
3. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Beat well.
4. Pour into well greased tube cake pan.
5. Bake at 350° F for about 55 minutes.
6. Frost with Quick Caramel Frosting.
1/2 cup Butter
1 3/4 cups Confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup Sweet milk
1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and boil for 2 minutes.
2. Add milk. Stir until it boils.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until it has spreading consistency.